Many thanks to Christine for sharing Bernice’s recipe for her fantastic Queen Elizabeth cake, as made for our Queen’s birthday celebrations in April.
- 4oz sugar
- 4oz margarine
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 2oz chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- ½lb chopped dates, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water and 1tsp bicarb of soda (overnight)
- 5tbs brown sugar
- 5tbs 5tbs full fat milk
- 2oz margarine
- Preheat the oven to gas 5 / 370°F / 190°C and grease and line a large loaf tin (10″ x 7″).
- Cream together the sugar and margarine, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Stir in half of the nuts, fold in the flour and then add the date mix and the remaining nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake for about 40 minutes, until firm. Leave to cool slightly before removing the cake from the tin.
- To make the topping, boil the sugar, milk and margarine together for 3 minutes. Leave the mixture to cool then pour it over the cake and sprinkle with coconut or chopped nuts.