Courgette cake is an absolute classic, so we treated our ladies to some as part of our summer social. As it proved so popular, we’ve decided to pop the recipe online, so you can bake and enjoy it from the comfort of your own home! This deliciously moist treat is sweet and slightly zesty, thanks to the lime cream cheese frosting it’s topped with. We promise that it will go down a storm with your family – even the most avid of courgette hater will love it!
- 250g of courgettes
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml of vegetable oil
- 150g of golden caster sugar
- 225g of self-raising flour
- ½ a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ a teaspoon of baking powder
- 200g of cream cheese
- 100g of icing sugar, sieved
- juice of 1 lime
- lime zest, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a tray bake tin.
- Grate the courgettes coarsely and place in a sieve over the sink or another bowl to drain out the excess moisture.
- Place the eggs, oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat together until creamy. Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Continue to beat until well incorporated, then stir in the grated courgette.
- Pour the cake mixture into your prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until firm to the touch and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few tins before turning out on to a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Meanwhile, you can make the topping. Beat the cream cheese for a few minutes before adding the icing sugar. Continue to beat for a few minutes and add more icing sugar or a splash of milk until the icing is at your desired consistency. Beat in the lime juice.
- Once your cake has cooled, pipe or spread your cream cheese icing on top, then sprinkle your lime zest over to finish it off.
Slice this little guy up into bars or squares and you’re on to a real winner! These are so gorgeous that it’s pretty difficult to have just one, so they’d go down a treat at coffee mornings or bake sales. As this cake was so popular at our social, we definitely recommend that you all give it a go!